U.S. Water Services Corporation is a well-established and diverse water and wastewater utility organization specializing in utility maintenance, operations, engineering, and construction services. U.S. Water is a fast paced and rapidly expanding company headquartered in New Port Richey, Florida with a staff of over 500 employees in six states.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Under close supervision, performs the daily operation and completion of customer service and utility billing generated service orders and scheduled meter reading routes. Also, must have a solid understanding of proper meter configuration, installation, repairs, and billing test circles. This position is also responsible to perform routine meter service area maintenance activities including but not limited to skilled pipe work, testing, installations, repairs, and other related duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF WORK illustrative only: This position class is responsible for the operation of the Utility's Customer Service Department which may include:
- Perform day to day activities as it relates to the meter service area
- Interacting with the utility customers by phone, in person, or any form of written correspondence.
- Daily completion of scheduled maintenance preventive/corrective/investigative related service orders and delinquent turn off's
- Daily reading of meter reader routes
- Perform meter read upload/download
- Review service orders daily and address inconsistencies to ensure service order accuracy and Key Performance Indicators are being met.
- Complete various other components within their duties such as managing idle times and other time management related factors.
- Participate in the coordination of activities as it relates to the Maintenance Department and the Customer Service Department in meeting the KPIs, and client and customer expectations as it is outlined in the Contractual Obligations of USWSC and the contracted utility
- Identify and implement corrective action where necessary in completing the various Customer Service, Field Service, Meter Reading, and Billing as assigned
- Meet the various KPIs goals as outlined in the General Terms of the Contract and within the KPI Standards set forth for USWSC by the contracted utility such as:
- Service Order Completion
- Billing Accuracy
- Meter Reading Accuracy
- Customer Service Complaints
- Time Components - Meter Reading and Billed Time Frames
- Exception Report
- Consumption Report - Zero Usage
- Other KPIs as assigned
- Ensure assigned company or utility vehicles are operating in accordance with company policy
- Adherer to all USWSC policies and procedures
- Exhibit a good working relationship with contract manager and/or contract holder and OPUS in completing the tasks assigned to this position
- Recommend process improvements
- Recommend disciplinary action
- All other duties as assigned.
The Meter Technician must demonstrate good knowledge of the scope and purpose of the services of assigned Utility systems and of the interrelations of the various units of the department and is able to interpret ordinances relating to public utilities. This employee must demonstrate proven ability to converse with the public on difficult problems, referring only the most controversial matters to the Customer Service Supervisor. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Customer Service Supervisor.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of proper meter service repair, maintenance preventive and corrective, and installation
- Knowledge of meter configuration and application
- Knowledge of meter reading systems, software, and mobile devices
- Knowledge of basic Cross Connection Control regulations
- Knowledge of trenching and shoring
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and corresponding safety precautions
- Knowledge of tools, equipment, or machinery necessary for proper operations on the utility system
- Knowledge of basic meter service preventive maintenance
- Skill in basic geographical mapping
- Skill in following oral and written communication
- Skill in identifying unsafe conditions and taking corrective action
- Skill in conflict resolution
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Ability to read and locate meters
- Ability to determine service type requirements and notify Lead Meter Technician of of changes to premise that may affect billing
- Ability to use personal or handheld computer devices
- Ability to determine and employ proper maintenance of traffic conditions
- Ability to read basic engineering drawings or blueprints as it relates to water service
- Ability to resolve conflict
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or state recognized equivalent. One 1 year of progressively responsible utility related experience; OR any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge.
- Ability to walk, stand, bend, and stair climb for extended periods of time, 8+ hours per day in ALL types of weather conditions.
- Frequent lifting meter lids of up to 15 pounds and occasional lifting of 50 pounds is required.
- Ability to work 95% of the time outdoors in ALL types of weather conditions. Heat, Rain, Humidity, Cold etc.
- Frequently encountering bugs, and other wildlife frogs, snakes, bees, fire ants
Compensation and Benefits: Pay is commensurate with experience and market reflective. US Water/USW Utility Group offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long-term disability, paid time off, holiday pay and 401k with company match. This position has a starting pay range of $17.00 - $21.00 per hour.
US Water/USW Utility Group offers competitive wages and benefits and is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.