U.S. Water Services Corporation/USW Utility Group is a well-established and diverse water and wastewater utility organization specializing in utility maintenance, operations, engineering, and construction services. U.S. Water is a fast paced and rapidly expanding company with a staff of over 500 employees in six states.
Position: Treatment Plant Operator
Department: Operations/Water & Wastewater Treatment
Direct Report: Project Manager
Main Function: Operates water and wastewater treatment facilities in accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency, the facilities operating permits and company protocol.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the daily operation and maintenance of the water/wastewater plant in compliance with established procedures and standards and federal and state laws and administrative
- Assists with inspection and/or monitoring of pumps, charts, gauges, and meters
- Assists with collection of water/wastewater samples and conducting lab tests; adjusts chemicals and/or equipment as needed.
- Adds chemicals in accordance with prescribed protocol.
- Assists with preparation and maintenance of accurate reports/records.
- Assists with forwarding water/wastewater samples and reports as required.
- Assists with servicing and performing preventive maintenance on plant and equipment; makes minor repairs and/or adjustments on plant and equipment; forwards requests for major repairs and/or equipment and tools to Project Manager.
- Assists with maintaining adequate inventory of spare parts, chemicals, and equipment
- Assists with maintenance and cleaning of plant and facilities.
- Attends training programs to maintain state certified licenses.
- Assists in other departments/divisions as needed.
- Maintains a good relationship with public and responds to complaints regarding operations.
- Periodic on-call coverage
- May be required to carry a radio or cell phone.
- Provides back-up to related positions, including wastewater or water specific operators
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
Training and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must possess Water and/or Wastewater operating experience.
- Knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods, and procedures used in water/wastewater collection, distribution and treatment systems.
- Knowledge of water/wastewater treatment plant operation and maintenance.
- Skilled in operation and use of basic industry tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, water/wastewater plant operations.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, federal, state laws and administrative regulations with reference to water/wastewater treatment.
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with safety regulations and standards.
- Ability to detect mechanical flaws and make minor repairs to plant and equipment.
- Ability to collect samples and perform lab tests.
- Ability to assist with maintaining preventive maintenance and servicing program on plant and equipment.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate reports.
- Ability to assist with maintaining inventory of chemicals, spare parts, and tools.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, other employees, and the general public.
- Physical ability to perform heavy labor for extended periods of time, often under adverse weather conditions.
- Available to work occasional weekends, holidays and/or extended hours.
- Ability to interpret specific chemical and biological analyses
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
Physical Demands of the Job: While performing the duties of this job, the employee often works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
Special Licensing Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Compensation and Benefits: Pay is commensurate with experience and market-reflective. US Water/USW Utility Group offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long-term disability, paid time off, holiday pay and 401k with company match.
US Water/USW Utility Group offers competitive wages and benefits and is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class