U.S. Water Services Corporation/USW Utility Group is a well-established and diverse water and wastewater utility organization specializing in utility maintenance, operations, engineering and construction services. U.S. Water is a fast paced and rapidly expanding company with a staff of over 700 employees in twenty states.
The Audubon Water/Wastewater Plant Operator Intern will, under general supervision, assist in the daily operations and maintenance of the drinking water and wastewater plants and perform related work as required.
The Water/Wastewater Operator Intern operates and maintains, under the general guidance of a certified operator, water and wastewater treatment facilities at one or more plants. They will be performing the following duties under the guidance and supervision of a certified operator:
- Processes, and tests equipment in water and wastewater treatment facilities to purify water to meet permit and operational requirements.
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses operational problems and takes corrective action per procedure and process knowledge.
- S/he monitors flow meters, gauges, flow ratios, pressures and related controls through instrument panels and programmable logic control units in assigned area.
- Monitors and records operating conditions observations and data in area shift log
- Ensures conformance to process specifications
- Verifies and reports suspected malfunctions and variances to the intern's supervisor or other certified operators.
- Performs routine and preventative maintenance and maintenance related items as assigned
- Performs field laboratory tests, chemical and physical, in order to pace chemical dosages for efficient process control.
- Ensures that all safety and environmental requirements are consistently achieved including strict compliance
Training and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be currently enrolled in, or have recently completed an IDNR recognized water and/or wastewater treatment plant operations course.
- Must take, and pass the Iowa State Exam for drinking water and/or wastewater plant operations within 12 months of hire date.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, drinking water and wastewater plant operations
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, federal, state laws and administrative regulations with reference to drinking water and wastewater treatment.
- Knowledge of functions, servicing and maintenance requirements of mechanical equipment and machinery
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with safety regulations and standards
- Ability to detect mechanical flaws and make minor repairs to plant and equipment under the general direction of a certified operator.
- Ability to collect samples and perform lab tests
- Ability to assist with maintaining preventive maintenance and servicing program on plant and equipment
- Ability to assist with the preparation and maintenance of accurate reports
- Ability to assist with maintaining the inventory of chemicals, spare parts, and tools
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, other employees, and the general public.
- Physical ability to perform heavy labor for extended periods of time, often under adverse weather conditions
- Upon receipt of drinking water and/or wastewater license, you must continue to work towards obtaining your other license for the purpose of becoming a dual licensed operator.
Physical Demands of the Job:
While performing the duties of this job, the intern occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The intern occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The intern occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
Special Licensing Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
Certification Requirements: As a condition of continued employment, the employee must obtain both Grade II Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators Licenses issued by the state in which the work is performed within 12 months of hire date.
Compensation and Benefits: US Water/USW Utility Group offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long-term disability, paid time off, holiday pay and 401k with company match.
US Water/USW Utility Group is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.